India cyclone – level 2
A second wave of the coronavirus hit India very hard, and hospitals are full of ill people. Last week, another disaster happened.
Cyclone Tauktae reached western India and it brought strong winds and heavy rain. The storm destroyed many buildings, and thousands of people were without electricity. Meteorologists said that the storm would bring winds of up to 160 kmph and landfalls could happen.
Local authorities evacuated hundreds of thousands of people which was very dangerous because of the coronavirus. Many people had to stay together in shelters, and it was possible that the coronavirus would spread there quickly.
Difficult words: cyclone (a strong storm which starts in warm tropical oceans), meteorologist (a person who studies weather, and he tells what the weather will be like), landfall (when a cyclone moves over land), shelter (a safe place where people can stay away from bad weather or a dangerous situation).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.