India cyclone – level 3
In the grip of a deadly second wave of the coronavirus that´s overwhelmed Indian hospitals, western India is braced for its strongest cyclone in decades.
Cyclone Tauktae has brought strong winds and heavy rains to Mumbai and the surrounding area. More than 90 people have gone missing after a barge off the coast of the city sank. The cyclone´s already destroyed buildings and cut off electricity in the southern states of Kerala, Karnataka and Goa. On Monday, the cyclone was expected to make landfall in Gujarat, with winds expected to reach speeds of up to 160 kmph.
Hundreds of thousands of Indians living in low-lying areas have been evacuated to temporary shelters, sparking concerns of possible new outbreaks of COVID-19 in coming weeks.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.