India Destroys Satellite – level 3
Last Wednesday, India carried out its first successful anti-satellite missile test. India destroyed the satellite in low-Earth orbit so that the debris would not be left out in space.
India’s prime minister announced the news a month ahead of the country’s general elections. Opposition leaders criticised the timing, and they are saying that Narendra Modi used this to gain popularity.
Others are also worried about the possibility of weaponising space. Three other countries (the USA, Russia and China) conducted similar tests. One critic is, unsurprisingly, India’s neighbour of Pakistan. The two countries have been fighting over the Kashmir region since the late 1940s.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
We write news in three different levels of English. We want to help you understand English more. Now all students can enjoy reading and listening.
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.