India Gas Leak – level 3
A chemical gas leak in southern India has killed at least 13 people, and it is estimated that 1,000 people were left struggling to breathe and collapsing in the street. Residents complained of breathing problems, rashes, and sore eyes.
Everyone within about 3 miles of the plant was evacuated, because officials were worried that rising temperatures at the plant could lead to another leak. Officials said that the synthetic chemical styrene leaked from the plant, which was closed during the coronavirus lockdown, and which workers are prepared to restart.
Authorities advised people to wear wet clothes and masks, avoid eating uncovered food, and consume bananas and milk. This food helps neutralize the effect of the gas.
Difficult words: synthetic (made by a chemical reaction that imitates a natural product), styrene (a liquid substance used to make plastics), consume (to eat), neutralize (to make something chemically neutral or balanced by applying an opposite force or effect).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.