India heatwave – level 2
A heatwave hit India, and it brought very hot temperatures to the country.
The heatwave came unusually early, which made people worried that such weather can become more usual in the future. Local people tried to keep out of the sun, while experts predicted that the temperature in New Delhi may reach 43 degrees Celsius.
In India, the summer months are always very hot before monsoon rains bring colder weather. This year’s heatwave came very early, and experts warned that heatwaves would may stronger because of global warming.
Heatwaves in India kill many people every year. The worst heatwaves were in 1992 and then in 2015, and the second heatwave killed more than 2,000 people.
Difficult words: predict (to say what will happen in the future), monsoon rain (the heavy rain which comes with strong winds in Southeastern Asia in summer), global warming (when the earth is warmer because of weather changes and human activity).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.