India opens Hindu temple – level 3
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a new Hindu temple in Ayodhya, replacing a mosque demolished by Hindu radicals over three decades ago.
The temple holds deep religious significance, symbolizing Lord Ram’s return to his supposed birthplace. Modi emphasized the fulfillment of a long-cherished dream and he played a central role in the consecration ceremony, marked by rituals and offerings. The event drew 8,000 guests and numerous pilgrims, while Ayodhya underwent a significant government-funded transformation. Some view it as a divine moment, while others criticize it as a political gimmick ahead of upcoming elections. The construction’s association with Hindu nationalism raises concerns about India’s secular identity. The temple’s completion is expected next year. The historical disputes over the Ayodhya site date back a century, marked by the 1992 mosque demolition and subsequent legal battles.
Difficult words: consecration (making something sacred), gimmick (a trick or scheme often used to attract attention or promote something), secular (a system that’s not related to religious matters or doesn’t have a religious basis).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are the potential implications for India's secular identity with the completion of the new Hindu temple in Ayodhya?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.