India train crash – level 3
A train collision in the eastern Indian state of Odisha has resulted in at least 288 deaths and 803 injuries, making it the deadliest rail disaster in the country in over two decades.
The Coromandel Express, traveling at 128 kmph, crashed into a stationary freight train, causing it to derail. Carriages from the freight train then struck two coaches of the Howrah Superfast Express traveling in the opposite direction, leading to a devastating pile-up. The death toll is expected to rise as more bodies are recovered from the wreckage. Rescue efforts involving various teams, including the National Disaster Response Force and the air force, are ongoing.
India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi has pledged support to those affected and ordered an investigation into the cause of the crash.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What steps can be taken to prevent similar train accidents from occurring in India in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.