India tunnel collapse – level 3
40 construction workers are trapped in a collapsed tunnel in India’s Uttarakhand state, raising concerns as rescue operations face challenges from fresh debris and machinery faults.
The collapse occurred after a landslide, leaving the laborers stuck 200 meters inside. Despite efforts involving heavy machinery and over 200 rescue officials, only 20 meters of rubble have been cleared, with 30 more meters to go. Rescue plans include drilling a shaft, but setbacks persist due to falling boulders and machinery issues. Oxygen and food are being provided through pipes, and while there’s enough oxygen for five to six days, workers are reporting symptoms like dizziness and fever.
The tunnel was part of a controversial 1.5 billion-dollar road project led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, criticized for environmental damage in the Himalayan region.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What insights can be drawn from this incident about India’s infrastructure and safety regulations?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.