India’s New Law – level 2
India’s government recently passed a law to give citizenship to religious minorities living in India except for Muslims. The law will let the groups become Indian citizens if they have lived in India for at least six years.
The law’s supporters say that the law protects these peoples and stops illegal immigration. The law’s critics say that the law does not follow India’s government and says that Muslims are less important.
Other critics say that Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government has increased the tension between Hindus and Muslims in India. In August, 2 million Muslims could not be on a national list in Assam.
Difficult words: citizenship (the right to be a citizen or an official member of a country), minority (a small group of people where there are bigger groups of people that live near them), increase the tension (to make people feel uneasy or unhappy).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.