Indonesia bans palm oil exports – level 1
Palm oil is the most common vegetable oil. The biggest maker of palm oil in the world is Indonesia. It makes half of all palm oil in the world. Indonesian people use the oil for cooking.
People cut down trees to grow oil palms. Many animals die, for example, orangutans. Indonesia makes no new plantations since 2018. Now, the country wants to stop the export of palm oil.
Everything is more expensive. The war in Ukraine makes the situation even more serious. The price and demand for palm oil is very high. Understandably, Indonesia wants to have enough food for its own people.
Difficult words: plantation (a large farm where people grow plants like sugar, coffee, or palm trees), export (an action when people or companies sell things to other countries), demand (how much people want to buy or have the same thing)
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.