Indonesia bans palm oil exports – level 2
Indonesia is the biggest producer of palm oil in the world, and it provides half of the world’s supply.
Indonesians use palm oil for cooking, but due to a worldwide increase of food prices, palm oil is becoming more expensive. The country decided to ban the export of palm oil, and experts said that this action would likely increase global prices. Indonesia’s president said that he wanted to make sure that people in his own country had enough food.
Also, in 2018, Indonesia made it impossible to make new palm oil farms. This law was an important step, as palm oil farms destroyed forests and many animals died.
Difficult words: producer (a person or company who makes things), supply (to make something available), export (to sell products to another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos