Indonesia transgender school – level 1
A homosexual is a man who likes men. A homosexual is also, a woman who likes women. A transgender is a man who feels he is a woman. A transgender is also a woman who feels she is a man.
Homosexuality is against the law in 69 countries. Many of these countries are very religious. Families do not spend time with homosexual or transgender people. They say that these people are not religious enough.
Homosexual people often go to prison for many years. Some die. Their government publicly stones or hangs them.
14 years ago, Shinta Ratri starts a school for transgender women in Indonesia. She saves these women. More than 60 women study at the school.
The women have a hard time to know who they are. They are religious people. They also have their sexual identity.
Difficult words: religious (people who believe in a god and who follow traditional laws), publicly stone (to throw stones at someone, and this person dies), sexual identity (if someone feels like he is a man or a woman, and if this person likes men or women).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.