Insect Can Find Bombs – level 2
Researchers at Washington University found a new way to use insects. They want to make locusts find bombs.
A locust has almost 50,000 sensors, which make it very sensitive. Scientists cut a locust´s head, and they attach a chip to its brain. When the locust senses some chemicals, that people use in bombs, its brain sends out some signals. Scientists are able to read these signals in a computer.
Nowadays, people use dogs to find bombs. Dogs can work more than ten years. However, it takes a long time to train them, and the training costs nearly $40,000 dollars per one dog. Locusts do not need any training, and they are very small. However, they live only a few months, and it is not easy to control them.
Difficult words: locust (an insect that lives in hot places, and it often destroys plants and crops), sensor (a device or thing that reacts to smell, light, heat or sound), chip (a part of an electronic device), training (an event where you learn something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.