Insect Can Find Bombs – level 3
A team at Washington University in St. Louis USA, have discovered a way to use a locust´s nearly 50,000 sensors to detect TNT.
Air Force sergeant, Travis Rhoad, said that locusts could be a backup for dogs that specialize in bomb detection. Scientists make a small incision between the locust´s antennae, and they attach a chip to the insect´s brain. Once the locust senses chemical explosives, its brain sends out certain signals which are then sent to a computer.
When compared with dogs, there are advantages and disadvantages, too. Military working dogs can work up to twelve years before retiring. The training lasts more than 100 days, and it costs nearly $40,000 dollars per dog. Also, dogs are easy to control. On the other hand, locusts are small, and they do not require any training. However, they live only a few months, and they are very unpredictable.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.