Insect Ice Cream – level 2
In Cape Town, South Africa, food scientists turned maggots into ice cream. The employees make a juice from the maggots, add sweet ingredients, and put all of it in the ice cream-making machine.
An employee explained that this is good for the environment, as people are recycling the insects instead of throwing them away. A professor said that people may not want to eat this ice cream because plant alternatives taste better and are culturally easier to stomach.
Some people tried the ice cream and said that it was good. The store wants to spread around the world eventually.
Difficult words: maggot (a baby insect that looks like a worm), plant alternative (a food made out of a plant that is not typically made from a plant, such as a meat, milk, or cheese), stomach (accept – say ‘yes it’s fine’ and eat it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos