Insect Ice Cream – level 3
At a store in Cape Town, South Africa, food technicians turned maggots into ice cream. The employees make a juice from the maggots, add ingredients like cocoa, and put the insects into the ice cream-making machine.
An employee explained that this is good for the environment, as the maggots are normally thrown away or given to pigs. A professor said that people are willing to eat gourmet burgers made from insects, but they may not be willing to eat ice cream like this. He said that plant alternatives to dairy taste better and are culturally easier to stomach.
People who tried the ice cream said that it tasted like organic or vegan ice cream. The store wants to spread from South Africa to other parts of Africa, Europe, and then the United States.
Difficult words: maggot (a soft, legless larva of a fly or other insect which looks like a worm), stomach (digest or eat; understand or accept).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos