International Holocaust Remembrance Day – level 1
January 27 is the International Holocaust Remembrance Day. The world remembers people who die in or survive the Holocaust.
The Holocaust is the name for the terrible things that Nazi Germany does in World War II. Nazis kill six million Jewish people and millions of other people. Many people die in concentration camps.
Hundreds of camps are in Nazi Germany. The largest concentration camp for Jews is in Auschwitz, Poland. Soviet soldiers liberate it on January 27, 1945.
Last Friday, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres speaks to world leaders. He says that people must remember what happens during World War II. In some countries, groups of people believe that Nazism is good. They believe that white people are better than others. This idea is very dangerous.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the UN Secretary General's opinion about groups of people who believe that Nazism is good?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.