International Holocaust Remembrance Day – level 3
Last Friday, on the annual International Holocaust Remembrance Day, the United Nations held its annual memorial service to honor the victims and survivors of the Holocaust.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres warned that neo-Nazi white supremacist movements were more dangerous, and they represented the number one internal security threat for several countries. Surveys show that anti-Semitism is at record highs, including racism, prejudice against Muslims, homophobia, and misogyny.
The UN General Assembly designated January 27 as International Holocaust Remembrance day; on this day in 1945, the Soviet Army liberated Auschwitz, an infamous Nazi concentration camp in German-occupied Poland. On this day, the UN urges all member states to honor the six million of victims of Nazism and to develop educational programs to prevent future genocides.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the UN's top internal security threat?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.