Internet for Refugees – level 3
Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg spoke at the United Nations Private Sector Forum, announcing plans to help bring the Internet to UN refugee camps. The forum focuses on the role of the private sector in implementing the Sustainable Development Goals.
Zuckerberg believes that Internet access is an important enabler of human rights. He also said that Facebook would be partnering with the UN to support the millions of refugees escaping war and poverty and gain online connectivity.
He said that connectivity would help refugees better access support from the aid community and maintain their links to family and loved ones. He said that Facebook was in a unique position to help maintain the life-line.
Difficult words: Private Sector (private businesses), forum (where many people discuss many topics), announce (to say something officially), implement (to make changes), sustainable (able to continue for a long time), development (growth), enabler (helper), life-line (support for people to get help or to stay alive).
Do you think the Internet is a human right?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos