Internet in Ethiopia – level 3
People restored Internet and text messaging services like WhatsApp and Telegram in Ethiopia last Tuesday after the country was offline for a week.
The country’s mobile service provider told CNN that the company would credit customers for services that were affected during the web blackout. The country’s economy also hurt from the outage – people say that the country lost around $17 million.
This was another time that the Internet has been shut off in Ethiopia – in 2018, people turned it off for months in areas that had unrest. It is not clear what caused the shut down, but some people think that this one occurred to prevent students from cheating on national exams.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.