Internet Law in Australia – level 2
Last month, there was a shooting in New Zealand when fifty people died. The killer shared the video of the murder online.
The Australian parliament thinks that the Internet should not be a place for sharing videos like this. It passes a new law that says that social media companies must take the content down. If they take too long, they can pay 7.5 million dollars or more. Some of their employees can go to prison for up to three years.
The type of illegal content is terrorism, killing somebody or trying to kill them, torture and more.
There is a lot of debate around the new law. Some people are for it, and some people are against it.
Difficult words: pass (say ‘yes’), content (things like pictures and videos), torture (the act of torturing somebody – making them feel a lot of pain).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos