Internet Law in Australia – level 3
The Australian parliament approved controversial new legislation on April 4th. This new law means that tech executives could go to prison if they take too long to remove violent content from their websites.
The type of content includes terrorism, murder, attempted murder, torture, rape and kidnapping. Penalties include up to three years in jail for the executives and a fine of 7.5 million dollars for the company or more.
The aim of the law is to make sure that people cannot spread violent and extreme propaganda online. The lawyers say that the Internet should not be used as a weapon for evil.
The new law is a reaction to the deadly Christchurch mosque shootings last month in which 50 people died. The shooter spread violent video of the killings across social media.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.