Interpol Wants Nissan Chairman – level 1
Japanese authorities want to arrest the past chairman of the company Nissan. His name is Carlos Ghosn. Japanese police say that Ghosn must stay in his home.
However, last week he escapes to Lebanon. It is not clear how he escapes. Lawyers have his passport.
Japan asks Interpol for help. Interpol contacts Lebanon. It sends a special document with information about Ghosn.
Lebanon must act. Lebanon can arrest Ghosn. The country can return him to Japan. However, it is not easy. Lebanese authorities say that Ghosn comes to the country with a legal passport. Therefore, there are no charges against Ghosn in Lebanon.
Turkey is helping to find out how Ghosn gets to Lebanon. He travels through Turkey to get there.
Difficult words: chairman (a person with an important job in a company), Interpol (the International Police Organization), charge (a situation when authorities officially say that someone does something bad).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.