iPhone memorial taken down – level 2
A monument used to stand in St Petersburg. It was a memorial to Steve Jobs. People took the memorial down. Why?
After Steve Job’s death, Tim Cook became the head of Apple. Tim Cook is gay and recently he came out. There is a law in Russia which fights “gay propaganda”. Its goal is to support the traditional family and protect young people from “gay propaganda”.
People took down the two-metre monument in accordance with the law.
Difficult words: memorial (something which reminds people of something), come out (to openly say that you’re gay), in accordance (because of the law).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos