Iran and Saudi Arabia talks – level 3
On Friday, Iran and Saudi Arabia agreed to re-establish relations after years of hostility that had threatened stability and security in the Gulf and helped fuel conflicts in the Middle East from Yemen to Syria.
The deal, brokered by China, was announced after four days of previously undisclosed talks in Beijing between top security officials from the two rival Middle East powers. Both countries agreed to respect each other’s sovereignty and not interfere in internal affairs.
Saudi Arabia cut ties with Iran in 2016 after its embassy in Tehran was stormed during a dispute between the two countries over a Muslim cleric’s execution. The country also blamed Iran for attacks on its oil facilities in 2019; however, Iran denied the charges.
Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi movement carried out several attacks on Saudi Arabia, and in 2022 extended the strikes to the United Arab Emirates.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What effect might the resumption of diplomatic relations between Iran and Saudi Arabia have on the security situation in Yemen?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.