Iran Nuclear Deal – level 3
The USA, UK, France, Germany, China and Russia made a deal with Iran in 2015. The deal said that Iran could not have centrifuges for enriching uranium and that the USA and EU would not put sanctions on Iran.
However, Trump stopped respecting the deal last year, and he started putting sanctions on Iran. This hit the country’s economy hard. European countries are still in the deal, but Iran is unhappy that the USA withdrew from it, so Iran started to ignore the deal, too.
In July, Iran enriched uranium beyond what the deal allowed. This level of enrichment still could not produce a nuclear weapon. However, Iran has forty new centrifuges which can enrich enough uranium to create a nuclear weapon.
Iran says that they are not planning to make a weapon, but they gave Europe 60 days to do something to save the 2015 deal.
Difficult words: centrifuge (a machine which rotates to enrich uranium), enrich (make more powerful), uranium (a radioactive material which can be used to make electricity or bombs – but it must be enriched first).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.