Iran school attacks – level 2
In September last year, Mahsa Amini died while she was in police custody. Protests all over the country started, and even girls and women took part in them.
Since November, there were more than 50 attacks in girls’ schools across the country. It seems that someone attacked the schools with poison. Many girls said that they could smell something like perfume in the air, and then they fell ill. More than 1,000 girls fell ill, and they all had similar symptoms, such as cough and burned eyes. Some of them could not move.
Iran’s officials said that it was necessary to catch and punish the person who was responsible for such horrible attacks. Many people believe that the attacks are a reaction to the protests, and it started even more new protests.
Difficult words: custody (when police keep a person legally), poison (a substance which can kill someone or make them very ill), to punish (to make someone suffer because they broke the law or did something wrong).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think is the most effective way to end the attacks on girls' schools and ensure the safety of students?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos