Iran school attacks – level 3
Hundreds of girls in schools across Iran have fallen ill in suspected poisoning attacks.
The attacks occurred in more than 50 schools across the country, and more than 1,000 girls have fallen ill since November with symptoms associated with poison attacks. Many girls reported that before falling ill, they smelled something like perfume in the air. Students had coughs, their eyes burned and some went numb and couldn’t move.
Many people believe that the attacks are an extremist response to the protests led by women and girls. The country has been convulsed by unrest since the death of Mahsa Amini in police custody in September, and the suspected poisonings have sparked even more protests.
In Iran, girls’ education is an accepted and ordinary part of life. The country’s supreme leader said that if deliberate poisoning was proved, then the culprits should be sentenced to death for committing an unforgivable crime.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What measures do you think the government should take to ensure the safety of girls in schools?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.