Iran-US prisoner swap – level 1
Iran and the United States will exchange prisoners soon. They will also send $6 billion to Qatar’s banks.
This will happen next week. Iran lets four US people out of prison on August 10. The US Secretary of State says this is the first step to send them home. The US does not say who the prisoners are. Some of them have dual citizenship. It means that they can officially live in two countries, Iran and the United States.
Qatar helps Iran and the US talk and make the exchange happen. Qatar will also make sure Iran uses the money the right way. Qatar will tell Iran and the US when to let the prisoners go.
Difficult words: exchange (to give a thing and get another thing), prisoner (a person who does something bad and he or she must stay in a special place), citizenship (when someone can officially stay and live in a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What role does Qatar play in the upcoming prisoner exchange between Iran and the United States?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.