Iraq Stops Islamic State – level 2
Iraq’s military celebrated victory over Islamic State, as the prime minister said that Iraq gained control of the border with Syria.
In northwest Iraq, villagers returned to their ruined village. The mayor says that both the Islamic State and the Kurdish army destroyed hundreds of homes.
One man says that both groups destroyed the homes, but the Kurdish army would not let people come back. He said that the army wanted to change the demography, but the Iraqi army and other militias were able to stop this ideology of changing the area.
Difficult words: demography (the people who live in a place), militia (a military group), ideology (a system of ideas).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos