Iraq’s transit project – level 1
Iraq has a big transit project. It is called the Development Road project. It will link the Grand Faw Port to Turkey.
The project will cost 17 billion dollars. The plan is to make Iraq a transit hub. The travel time between Asia and Europe will be shorter than through the Suez Canal. There will be high-speed trains. Local companies will connect too. There will be oil and gas pipelines.
The infrastructure in Iraq is not good. But the government believes the project can be successful. The situation in the country is without big problems now.
Difficult words: transit hub (a place or area through which many ships, trucks, or trains go), pipeline (a tube through which gas, oil, or other material goes), infrastructure (buildings, roads, and pipes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the potential benefits to Iraq from the Development Road project?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.