Iraq’s transit project – level 2
Iraq is working on a 17-billion-dollar project called the Development Road which aims to connect the Grand Faw Port in the south to Turkey.
The goal is to make Iraq the main country for the transit of commodities. It will compete with the Suez Canal and shortens travel time between Asia and Europe. The project includes plans for high-speed trains, links to local industries, and the possibility of oil and gas pipelines.
For a long time, the government promised to develop Iraq’s infrastructure but is still in poor condition. Officials are optimistic because the situation in the country is stable at the moment, and they believe that the project will be successful.
Difficult words: commodity (raw material or agricultural product which a company sells), infrastructure (buildings, roads, and power supplies), stable (something which doesn’t seem to change or end suddenly).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact do you think the Development Road will have on Iraq's economy?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.