Ireland After Brexit – level 2
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson criticizes the previous Brexit proposals. He has his own plan for the problem with the Irish border. The UK must leave the European Union on October 31st, so Johnson must act quickly.
There are two countries on the island of Ireland – Ireland and Northern Ireland. Ireland is a part of the European Union, and Northern Ireland is a part of the UK. Johnson wants to create a special area where these two countries can trade openly.
Johnson says that the previous Brexit proposals are not good for the future of the UK because the UK must follow European custom rules. The president of the European Union, Jean-Claude Juncker, welcomed Johnson’s idea. However, he said that there are still some problems with it.
Difficult words: proposal (a special plan), custom rules (regulations about imported goods).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos