Ireland passes same-sex marriage – level 1
Some people want same-sex marriage to be legal. In Ireland, people vote about same-sex marriage. Some people think that it will be hard to pass the law. But they are wrong. Many people in Ireland vote for the law.
One man goes to vote. He says that he is proud to be Irish. He says that the Irish people showed what they think.
It is hard to pass a law by popular vote. People do not always agree on ideas. But Ireland passed same-sex marriage by popular vote.
Difficult words: same-sex marriage (when two men or two women can marry), legal (when the government says that you can do something), popular vote (when many people vote at the same time on a law).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that it is interesting that Ireland passed this law?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.