Ireland’s Good Friday Agreement – level 1
From 1968 to 1998, a conflict happens in Northern Ireland. Some people want Northern Ireland to be a part of Britain. Some people want Northern Ireland to be a republic. The British leaders put in a government to help the situation.
It does not help. People join paramilitary groups. They fight against Britain. Around 3,500 people die.
In the 1990s, people see that the war must stop. They start to talk. The war stops on April 10, 1998, Good Friday.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.