Is the Russian President Healthy – level 3
The Russian president Vladimir Putin is reportedly planning to step down early next year amid claims that he is suffering from Parkinson´s disease. However, the Kremlin has denied such claims.
A footage that is circulating in Russia shows Putin´s leg shaking while he is holding tight to a chair, which is leading to speculation over his health. The 68-year-old Russian leader recently made a public appearance at a ceremony to inaugurate a new Russian icebreaker, and he seemed in good shape.
It is not the first time when rumors about the president´s health and his alleged Parkinson´s symptoms have emerged in the country. However, this time, the claims came after Putin introduced a bill that will guarantee him lifelong legal immunity. Some analysts interpret this as a part of Putin´s retirement plan.
Difficult words: amid (during, at the same time as), speculation (guessing possible answers without having enough information to be certain), inaugurate (to make a formal beginning of something), legal immunity (a status when a person cannot be prosecuted).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.