Is There Life on Venus? – level 2
Scientists discovered something very interesting in the atmosphere of Venus. They studied the planet from telescopes in Hawaii and Chile, and they think that the atmosphere could contain a gas called phosphine.
On Earth, we connect this gas with life in places with no oxygen, such as volcanoes, lightning strikes, or meteorites. Meteorites are small rocks that come from space. However, scientists do not think that this is happening on Venus, and they are thinking about two possibilities. It is possible that there is some scientific information called chemistry that they do not know about yet. The second and more exciting possibility is that there is some kind of life that makes the gas.
Currently, NASA is thinking of sending two missions to Venus, and this discovery could make a big change on the decision.
Difficult words: atmosphere (the gases and area around a planet), phosphine (a colorless dangerous gas), discovery (what somebody finds out).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos