Islamophobia in England – level 1
A Muslim woman is in a shop. The shop is in London. A person abuses her because she is wearing a veil. She films the situation. Many people watch the video on the Internet. The police are looking for her abuser.
The woman says that people often abuse her. She says that it is because of the media. The media shows Islam in only a bad way. She says that people should not get their information only from the media. She says that Muslims are normal people.
Difficult words: abuse (to say or do bad things to somebody and make him or her feel bad), veil (a piece of material which covers the face), should (if you should do something, it is good to do it).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.