Island for Refugees – level 2
In 2017, a dangerous situation in Myanmar made millions of people leave the country. They fled to Bangladesh and now, they are staying in refugee camps.
The Bangladeshi government found a way to solve the problem with full refugee camps. A few years ago, the government started to build homes for refugees on an island, but many people are unhappy with it. The island lies about 40 kilometers off the coast of Bangladesh and during the rain season, a big part of the island ends up under water. Some people criticize that there are not enough schools and hospitals for 100,000 people that the government plans to move there.
Last week, Bangladesh started to move the refugees to the island. It already brought problems because some people said that they did not agree to move there.
Difficult words: flee (to run away from a place or dangerous situation), refugee camp (a place where people who ran away from their country live for some time), refugee (a person who left his country because it was dangerous to stay there).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos