Israel attacks Gaza – level 2
On Saturday, militants fired two rockets. These militants control the Gaza Strip.
The rockets landed in the Mediterranean Sea just off the Israeli coast. It was not clear if the plan was to hit Israel, as Gaza militants often test rockets, and they fire them toward the sea.
There was a war between Israel and Hamas in May, which lasted 11 days. Since that time, nobody fired any rockets, but the situation was not calm.
Israel fired two rockets on Sunday, and Israel’s military said that it was because of the rockets from the day before. Israel wanted to destroy a rocket factory in Gaza, and it also said that Gaza militants were responsible for the bad situation in the area.
Militants said that they would attack Israel if Israeli authorities kept a Palestinian prisoner for more than 130 days. The prisoner is on hunger strike.
Difficult words: militant (a person who believes in something very strongly, and he often fights to make changes in a country), military (the soldiers and army of a country), hunger strike (to refuse to eat for a long time as a way to protest).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact could a prisoner on hunger strike have on the situation in the region?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.