Israel attacks Gaza – level 3
Israel’s military said on early Sunday that it fired rockets against militant targets in the Gaza Strip, a day after the Hamas territory fired other rockets.
The Israeli military said that the attacks targeted a rocket facility and a military facility for Hamas. It also blamed the militant Islamic group for any violence emanating from the territory that it controls.
The airstrikes came as retaliation for two rockets fired from Gaza on Saturday which landed in the Mediterranean Sea off central Israel. It wasn’t clear whether the rockets were meant to hit Israel; however, Gaza militant groups often test-fire missiles toward the sea.
Apart from a single incident in September, there was no rocket fire since an agreement ended an 11-day war between Israel and Hamas in May. However, tensions are high as other groups like strict Islamic Jihad threaten military fighting if Israel doesn’t end the imprisonment of a Palestinian prisoner who has been on a hunger strike for over 130 days.
Difficult words: target (a people or place that someone attacks; to attack specific people or places). emanate (to come from or be produced by), retaliation (the action of returning a military attack).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think will be the outcome of the conflict between Israel and Hamas if the Palestinian prisoner's hunger strike continues?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.