Israel politics changes – level 1
Israeli politicians start talking about a new law. The law would make the Supreme Court have less power.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s group proposes the law. Many people don’t like it. Before, people protest against the law. But Netanyahu stops it to talk with other politicians. The talks don’t work. So Netanyahu starts the law again. The new law is not as strong as before. But some people still think it can cause corruption. One politician, Gilad Kariv, says that the law will hurt democracy. People in other countries are also worried about the law. They say that it can make Israel less democratic.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact do you think the new law will have on democracy in Israel?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.