Israeli official speaks about a nuclear bomb – level 2
In a radio interview, Israeli Heritage Minister Amihai Eliyahu talked about the chance of using a nuclear bomb on Gaza.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reacted quickly, and he said that the government didn’t agree with this. Israel follows international laws and they don’t want to harm innocent people. Eliyahu later explained that he didn’t mean what he said.
At the same time, there are reports of heavy bombing of Gaza which almost doesn’t stop. The Israeli Defense Forces separated Gaza into two parts and are getting ready to enter Gaza City. Meanwhile, Hamas states that more than 10,000 people in Gaza died, and aid groups say the situation is getting worse every day.
The Jordanian military dropped medical supplies into northern Gaza. Several countries asked Israel to stop fighting so the help could come, but Israel didn’t agree to a humanitarian break in the fighting.
Difficult words: innocent (when someone doesn’t do bad things), medical supply (medicine which doctors and nurses use), humanitarian (related to helping people who are in a dangerous or very difficult situation).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think should be done to help bring a peaceful resolution to the conflict in Gaza?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.