It is too hot in India – level 2
Summer in India is becoming increasingly difficult for people due to rising temperatures.
In recent weeks, many people died from heat or they suffered from heatstroke, and many schools have closed. The demand for air conditioners (ACs) is rising in populous countries like India, China, Indonesia, and the Philippines. Experts think that the world will add 1 billion AC units by 2030.
But ACs contribute to climate change because there are harmful refrigerants in them. Rocher countries have stricter rules on ACs, but developing countries like India have a problem. They need more ACs but they want to reduce their carbon footprint. It is necessary to have cleaner technology before many people buy ACs with harmful refrigerants.
Difficult words: heatstroke (when someone is sick because it is too hot outside), populous (having very many people), refrigerant (a chemical substance which keeps things cold).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What sustainable solutions can developing countries take to satisfy the increased demand for air conditioners without further contributing to climate change?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos