Italy Politician in Court – level 2
Matteo Salvini was a deputy Prime Minister of Italy, and the leader of an opposition party. Last year, he stopped several ships with Libyan migrants. He did not want the migrants to come to Italy.
There was a ship with 131 migrants on board. Salvini did not let the ship come to Sicily, Italy, and after 7 days, Spain accepted the migrants.
In December, an Italian court said that migrants have the right to freedom. This week, the Italian Senate decided that Salvini loses his immunity, and now the court must decide if Salvini is guilty. If he is guilty, he can go to prison for 15 years.
After the vote about his immunity, Salvini said that he was proud of what he did. He said that it is necessary to protect Italian borders.
Difficult words: deputy (a person who does somebody’s job when the other person is not working), opposition party (a political party that has different ideas to the parties which win the vote and rule a country), immunity (when a political person cannot get a penalty or in trouble).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What implications might the Italian court's decision have on Salvini's political career?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.