Italy wins the UEFA European Championship – level 2
On Sunday, Italy won the European Championship 2020 at Wembley, UK, when the team defeated England 3-2 on penalties.
The start of the match was great for England when they scored just after two minutes. It was a shock for Italy who won the last 33 matches before the final. The team took a long time to recover, and they played much better in the second half. Italy’s Leonardo Bonucci scored in the 67th minute, and the game continued in overtime. Then nobody else scored, and it was necessary to decide the winner in a penalty shootout.
England scored only two penalties and Italy scored three, and they won their first European Championship in 53 years. England’s fans were very sad because the last time England won a European Championship was in 1966.
Difficult words: defeat (to be better in a game or match than somebody else), recover (to return to a normal state or situation), penalty shootout (a situation when there is no winner at the end of a match, so the teams must shoot penalties, and who scores more times is the winner).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos