Italy’s glacier collapses – level 3
In the northern Italian Alps, at least nine people died after a glacier collapsed on Sunday.
The slide sent ice, snow, and rock onto a popular trail on the Marmolada Mountain, and the avalanche killed at least seven people, including three Italians and two Czechs. Emergency officials said that the collapse injured several people; however, they didn’t know the number of mountaineers involved in the accident, and rescue efforts were still underway.
The cause of the glacier’s collapse wasn’t immediately clear. Italy’s Prime Minister Mario Draghi said that the incident was without doubt linked to climate change.
In recent years, the area has been experiencing unusually high temperatures. The climate of the Alps is changing rapidly, and scientists say that the glaciers have lost half their ice mass since 1850. Since the late 1800s, loss rates increased, and glaciers are now more unstable.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Will you buy the chip?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.