Italy´s New Bridge – level 1
Two years ago, a bridge falls down in Genoa, Italy. It is a terrible accident. 43 people die. It is a shock for many people. People ask how it is possible. Italy has good roads and bridges.
Builders build a new bridge. They must destroy the old bridge. They build the new bridge in the same place.
It is not easy work. The structure of the bridge is very special. The bridge must be safe. The new bridge costs more than €200 million.
The coronavirus is in Italy. The situation is very bad. There are hard rules. People must stay away from each other. Builders work while this happens.
Italy´s Prime Minister is happy with the bridge. He says that the new bridge gives hope to the country.
Difficult words: shock (when something happens, and many people cannot believe it because it is very bad or crazy), structure (many parts that are connected to make a building or object), hope (when people want something good to happen or to be true).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.