Italy’s Republic Day – level 3
People celebrated this year’s Republic Day, also known as the Festival of the Republic, on Saturday, June 2nd in Italy.
The day annually marks the 1946 abolishment of monarchy and founding of the republic and people celebrate it with a military parade. The country’s aeronautic acrobatic squad flew low over downtown Rome trailing the flag colours, and Italy’s President Sergio Materella placed a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Italy’s recent three months of political turmoil ended after a new populist government was sworn in.
Difficult words: annually (every year), mark (celebrate), abolishment (ending something officially), found (start), trail (let out colour from the plane), turmoil (trouble, chaos, no government), populist government (a government which says that it will do good things for the ordinary people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.