Ivory burning in Kenya – level 1
This news is about ivory. Ivory is a material. It comes from an elephant’s tusks. It is an expensive material. People kill elephants to get it and sell it. This is a problem.
Kenya wants to stop the elephant killing. It confiscates 100 tons of ivory. 100 tons of ivory comes from around 7,000 elephants. Kenya burns the ivory.
The Kenyan president sets the ivory on fire. He also talks about the problem. He says that he wants to stop the ivory market.
People come to the burning event. There are presidents of other African countries. Not all presidents come, however. Some people say that it is not good to burn ivory. When there is less ivory, the price can go up. There can be more elephant killing, not less.
Difficult words: tusks (the horns that come out of the front of an animal), confiscate (to take something with authority, often something illegal), burn (to destroy by fire).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos